Subject: Re: uVAX-II boots via network, yea!
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2002 16:20:39
Chuck McManis wrote:

> At 11:58 PM 2/19/02 -0500, Gunther Schadow wrote:
>
>> I did notice that none of the KFQSA stuff was detected. Is that
>> just the generic kernel not supporting it or is there no support
>> for DSSI things in NetBSD quite yet? I guess my next step is to
>> get a TK50 or TQK70 and then I can finally write my ULTRIX 4.5
>> boottape for the VAX 6000-460. Yea!
>

> Which do you need the tape drive or the interface card? I can mail you a
> TQK70 (the interface card, or a TQK50 for that matter).

Chuck, I am being sent a TK50 drive. Of course I could use the
TQK70 card, but it's not as urgent any more. I would certainly
be thankful for it if you have enough spares,

> The KFQSA won't appear unless it is both configured to look for disk
> drives and to report them as the first MSCP device. You might try the
> experiment of shoving a RQDX3 in there and then seeing if the KFQSA
> shows up as the second controller.

By configuring the KFQSA you mean by means of the dip-switch
thing? Seems like I have no way to configure the card by any
other means on the uVAX-II, well, unless I know addresses to
examine and deposit stuff.

> Anyway, even if it is configured, it won't actually assert that it
> exists to the Qbus unless a drive shows up on the cable that it can talk
> to.

Seems like that is accomplished: the drive I have connected does
do things, like spinning up and seeking and scrumbling every now and
then. I have no clue however if that is done spontaneously by the
drive or if the KFQSA is initiating this activity. The little red
LEDs at the KFQSA are all off (I assume that's a good sign) except
for the green LED (if I don't mix that green one up with neighboring
cards.)

thanks so much,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine