Subject: Re: SIMH runs NetBSD/vax
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@indiana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2002 08:34:57
On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 08:55, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > 10. I had a problem where the installation program didn't find the
> >     .tgz files on the cd, so I had to suspend and type
> >
> >         mount -t cd9660 /dev/ra1a /mnt2
> >
> Sounds quite likely, cdrom's on an ra controller do not exist :-)
> But nice it actually worked :-)
>
> -- Ragge

Well both SimH and TS10 kind of cheat when it comes to disks.  Both of
them identify their disk controllers as RQDX3's but since they're MSCP
you can attach pretty much anything to them.

I know TS10 will let you attach an RRD40 to an RQDX3, which isn't
possible in real life :)

To make life more interesting SimH will also run Ultrix 4.4 (providing
you patch the boot cdrom to look for ra* disks instead of rz* disks).

However, it won't run VMS.  You can boot into standalone backup and
restore the .b saveset, but when you reboot to do the actual install, it
fails.

Brian Wheeler
bdwheele@indiana.edu