Subject: Re: Keyboard input ignored by NetBSD
To: None <pgaray@towertechnology.com.au,>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/14/2002 15:45:59
This one is close to what is actually going on, but since it hasn't popped
out yet (and I'm nearly done with reading whats new on this list) allow me
to offer the "official" answer:

The VS3100 monitor uses SCSI-1 commands to talk to the disk. The original
protocol was limited to drives that were at most 1GByte (couldn't address
larger drives).

So to boot such a disk, the monitor boot has to be able to fetch the blocks
for boot and they have to be within the first GB of disk space. Then there
is VMS, when VMS does a machine check dump it uses the monitors disk
functions to write out the crash image, if the page file isn't in the first
GB of the disk it can't do that.

Since NetBSD doesn't do core dumps using the Monitor's disk i/o functions
you are fine if the boot is in the first GB of the disk.

--Chuck