Subject: Re: Now that took half the day ;-)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Hugh Graham <hugh@openbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/2002 00:00:58
On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:31:11PM -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I've got my file with the contents of the "good" flash part. No to post
> process it into something that a device programmer could talk to...

Have you got a hex dump?

If you're looking to convert it to binary, use something like this:

awk '/^  *P 200/ { print $NF }' < cons.log | \
perl -ne 'print pack("N", unpack("V", pack("H8", $_)));' > 4k90firm.bin

For entertainment, you can copy this into a C program and disassemble
it in gdb, or strings it, or suchlike, although the original dump is
probably more useful to diff against should some corruption strike.

> It sounds like a couple of other folks have done this. Do you perhaps have
> the images laying about?

I have a 256KB image from my 4k60, which I should dump again just to
see if there are any normal changes between reboots. If you do decide
to commit your machine, I really hope these dumps isolate the problem!

/Hugh