Subject: Re: Now that took half the day ;-)
To: Hugh Graham , Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/2002 11:53:20
At 12:00 AM 2/10/02 -0800, Hugh Graham wrote:
>Have you got a hex dump?

Yup

>If you're looking to convert it to binary, use something like this:

[edited]

Cool! Now its a firmware blob. I suppose the next thing would be to convert
it into Intel Hex Format so any prom programmer in the world would under
stand it.

I put a copy on my web site, there is a link to it on
<http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/boards.html> see the firmware
images section.

 > For entertainment, you can copy this into a C program and disassemble
>it in gdb, or strings it, or suchlike, although the original dump is
>probably more useful to diff against should some corruption strike.

This was quite fun, the strings output in particular indicates that the new
version prints out the clock speed of the machine.

>I have a 256KB image from my 4k60, which I should dump again just to
>see if there are any normal changes between reboots. If you do decide
>to commit your machine, I really hope these dumps isolate the problem!

That would be ideal of course, I have to figure out how to reliably flash
it first. If I can rework the system with a socket that would work as my
EMP-20 will write the flash chip.

--Chuck