Subject: A KFQSA, an RF71, and NetBSD (with a little VMS)
To: vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/2002 17:49:50
This question is only obliquely NetBSD related, but I know that others
here (Mr. McManis for one) have struggled with setting up DSSI drives
and
controllers.

Last spring I got a KFQSA and an RF71 to use in an MV2 or a PDP-11/73.
The adapter/drive combo needs to be configured and I am having no luck
figuring out how to do this.

So far I have discovered that

>>> SET HOST/UQSSP/...... <something>

from a console prompt will get me into the onboard controllers to set
them up. Unfortunately, the MV2 does not have anything like this
in its firmware.

Next use VMS.... Now I have OpenVMS on an MSCP SCSI adapter attached
drive running in an MV2. I have the KFQSA and the RF71 all hooked up,
but
I cannot seem to gain access to the drive controllers.

All the references say to do something like

$SET HOST/DUP/SERVER=MSCP$DUP/TASK=DIRECT <node>

What is node? At this point, all the references sort of make it sound
obvious and the expanation stops. Anybody willing to give an
off list consultation? I think I just need pointed in the right
direction. Right now I am almost as frustrated with VMS as Gunther
Shadow. :-)

-chuck