Subject: Re: netbsd/vax newbie experiences and questions
To: Jan Gray <jsgray@acm.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/2002 18:20:07
On 2002.02.04 07:31 Jan Gray wrote:

>  so I was able to drop down to
> /bin/sh, mount /dev/sd0d on /mnt, and fetch the binary sets via FTP.
Exiting sysinst and doing the install by hand is the usual way to get
NetBSD on a VAX... ;-)

> BTW, Boeing Surplus had some pretty hefty SGI
> IMPACTs and IMPACT 10000s's for $50-$150, and even a couple of (very
> substantial) Onyx Infinite Reality's (?) for $200.
You mean you left the store without getting at least one of these
machines?
If yes, go back and get one, promptly! You will never regret it. An Onyx
Infinite Reality for $200 or a Indigo^2 IMPACT 10000s's for $50-$150 is
a gift.

> 1. Re: 4000/90 corrupted NV RAM (SYS 0512): Has anyone fixed theirs,
> and if so, how?
This problem is still without solutiuon.

> 5. I am looking for more RAM for my 4000/90.  Can I use 4000/60
> memory?
Yes.

> What other systems' memory is compatible with 4000/90?
VS4k60.

> 8. Does anyone have a source for the DEC adapter that converts 3 BNC
> with sync on green into a standard VGA connector?
ebay? The monitor cables are the same on DECstations, DEC 3000, IBM
RS/6000, Apollo Domain, ...
--

tschüß,
         Jochen