Subject: Aaaargh help, I'm sucked up by VMS ....
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/2002 21:20:56
I could kick a dog, shmash a terminal with a sledgehammer. I'm
so mad. I want to get rid of VMS for months now and I'm always
sucked deeper into this crap. VMS sucks (literally). Everything
is a hundredthousand times more painful than on UNIX. Argh.
Somebody help me please!

I need some TCP/IP in order for me to transfer files for ULTIX
to a TK70. I have ClosedVMS 7.2 and 5.4 disks. None of them has
UCX and the one that has MULTINET (7.2) cannot be pursuaded to
letting me use MULTINET (license), even using some low level
license cracker program. So, I have kermit on the 7.2 system
and I learned how to transfer VMS executables reliably (SET
FILE TYPE FIXED). So I moved GZIP.EXE and LZDCMP.EXE over to
the VAX. Now I have images of CMUIP066.[ABCD]_Z and
TEKIP0665A.SAVE_GZ. I transferred those with FIXED and it
will fail on the last block (reason: this block size shit
will want a full last 512 byte block but gets only a partial
block and then instead of just padding it with NULs or something
will drop that last block.) When I transfer with SET FILE
TYPE BINARY then at least I get the file accross, but it then
is in LF_STREAM format.

Of course you can's just call lzdcmp or gzip, no you have to
define a logical lz :== $DISK:[DIR]LZDCMP.EXE ... etc. Do the
dance only in order to find out that it doesn't like to uncompress
that file. When I use gzip on the TEKIP thing like:

$ gz :== $SYS$SYSTEM:[SYSMGR.GUNTHER]GZIP.EXE

$ gz -d TEKIP0665A.SAVE_GZ

then it will complain that it can't find the file TEKIP0665A.SAVE.
When I did it on the VMS 5.4 version, I  could at least gunzip
the TEKIP0665A.SAVE but after that BACKUP didn't want to
recognize this file as a SAVE SET at all. I tried to
CONVERT/FDL to a 2048 block size but still no luck. BACKUP
does not accept it.

This is all so silly. Of course I'm just too simple minded for
VMS and in reality VMS is so superior :-) but I just can't take
it any more.

Has anyone managed to do this CMUIP or TEKIP install and could
walk me through how I do this from start.

Has really nobody here gotten an ULTRIX 4.2 or higher boot TK50?

I need to get off this VMS crap soon or I go insane.

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine