Subject: Stray Interrupt problem - VAX 4000/300
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/01/2002 18:13:49
Guys,

I searched everywhere I could to find references to this problem - but the
only similar problem occurs on PC's that have hardware installed and are
attempting to use the wring driver.....

The error is "Stray Interrupt: vector 0x18, ipl 31" and prevents bootup of
NetBSD. The "autostart" prompt appears, but when attempting to install
NetBSD ("boot sysinst"), the error repeats indefinitely.

I've attempted installation on both a 4000/300 and 4000/500A and get the
same exact problem. Here's what I've done to try to isolate/work around this:

1) Removed all DSSI drives
2) Install terminators on all DSSI/SCSI ports
3) Removed/switched ethernet connection/media
4) Performed install on VAXStation to test CD
5) Installed NetBSD onto destination SCSI drive using MicroVAX - attempted
boot of this drive on 4000's

The installation went perfectly fine on the VAXStation. Afterwards, I tried
installation on the 4000's again - no luck. I then used a MicroVAX to
install NetBSD from the CD onto the SCSI drive I was going to be using on
the 4000/300. NetBSD installed fine, and I could boot from this drive using
the MicroVAX. The 4000's would not boot from this drive - still giving the
"Stray Interrupt" error.

The /300 has a TK70, but the /500A does not. I figured that since I was
getting the same error on both, that the TK70 wasn't a factor.

Hmmm.........

Is there some device that needs to be removed? I can't think of anything
else to remove.

Any ideas? Thanks!

         - Matt

Matthew Sell
Programmer
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
(281) 296-6066

Join the Metrology Software discussion group METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

Many thanks for this tagline to a fellow RGVAC'er...