Subject: Re: TK50Z-G3
To: None <bamdad@sharif.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/30/2002 05:59:58
>Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:32:47 +0330 (IRT)
>From: Bamdad Ehterami <bamdad@sharif.edu>
>
>Hi everyone;
>
>	I've recently found a TK50Z-G3 tape drive and attached it to my
>already-working VAX4000/VLC which runs NetBSD 1.5 quite well. Everything
>seems to be right until for example I try "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind", here is
>a sample output:
>
>st0(asc0:1:0):  Check Condicion on CDB: 0x1e 00 00 00 01 00
>    SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
> COMMAND INFO:  117440512 (0x7000000)
>     ASC/ASCQ:  No Additional Sense Information
>
>st0(asc0:1:0):  Chech Condition on CDB: 0x1e 00 00 00 00 00
>    SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
> COMMAND INFO:  117440512 (0x7000000)
>     ASC/ASCQ:  No Additional Sense Information
>     FRU CODE:  0z1
>
>It seems that the tape unit does not like the command. well in fact,
>I do not have any idea of what those messages mean.. are they error
>messages (which they seem to be) or what?)
>
>more question: how can I initialize a new tape? how can I make a bootable
>tape (the FAQ speaks of two files which I cannot find).

It's a warning that the drive doesn't support SCSI command 0x1e, which
is used to prevent or allow media removal (i.e. to lock the drive
while it's busy).  Most tape drives and other removable media support
this, but it's an optional command.

We should probably have a quirk table entry for drives that don't
support this command, so they don't spew so much.  I thought about
doing it once, but I got distracted working on some more serious
problems...

Cheers,
entropy