Subject: Re: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2002 10:12:51
Gunther,

In my case, DHCP made a lot more sense since I am using it for my network
anyway.

It was a trivial matter to just add an entry for the box in my dhcpd.conf.

That's why I used it - plus the later distros of NetBSD and Linux-VAX can
use DHCP.

         - Matt

P.S. - Congrats on the 780!

At 11:06 AM 1/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>But bootpd has two major advantages to go for it:
>
>- it's standard in any reasonable BSD system
>- it's easier to configure
>
>you just edit the /etc/bootptab and off you go.
>

>>dhcpd and bootp speaks the same language. Pick one or the other. But I'd
>>recommend dhcpd, since it's a superset of bootp.
>

>don't care about the super, don't need it for netbooting
>and only makes configuration harder. More knobs to turn,
>more things to go wrong.
>
>>If you use bootp, you
>>need some other silly way of telling what address, dns server, and a bunch
>>of other things should be used...
>

>/etc/bootptab isn't silly. If you have ever edited
>/etc/disktab (like you had to with 4.x BSD) it's got the
>same look and feel.
>

>>I actually think that bootp is officially "obsolete".
>

>don't care as long as it works. I use it all the time and
>I'm happy with it. I do use ISC-DHCPD 3 but only when I
>have to.
>
>regards,
>-Gunther
>
>--
>Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
>Medical Information Scientist      Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
>Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine
>tel:1(317)630-7960                         http://aurora.regenstrief.org

Matthew Sell
Programmer
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
(281) 296-6066

Join the Metrology Software discussion group METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

Many thanks for this tagline to a fellow RGVAC'er...