Subject: Re: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or both......
To: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2002 01:29:24
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Brian Chase wrote:

> [...] I forget what the exact MOP load specs are for the
> MicroVAX-II and the VAXstation 2000, but I think it only guarantees
> that you'll have a chunk of 64KB into which you can put fit bootloader.
> I think later models expanded that to 256KB.

As a followup to the above, here's what the VARM, 2nd Ed. has to say
about this.  On pg 380, under the section which outlines the process the
console uses for bootstrapping the operating system.  Step 5 of the
process is...

   "Locate a page-aligned block of good memory.  VAX Processors
    announced after 1987 must allocate a block 256 kilobytes in
    length; earlier VAX processors locate a block 64 kilobytes
    in length."

Not that you or anyone else cares right now, but I figure it's probably
good to not go spouting off too many bits of trivia without actually
verifying that they're founded in facts.

-brian.