Subject: Re: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2002 02:27:23
Chuck,

Yea. No X. That's fine.

I'm using the "printer" port on the VAXStation 3100, and the console ports
on the others.

Thinking that the Linux guys may have their documentation wrong, I went
searching for a bootloader for it as well. I found an archive on one the
maintainers sites, and it had the classic hardware-address with ".SYS"
filename, and was about 7K versus 1.4 Meg. Well, that "whatever it was"
didn't work, but on the VAXStation it didn't give an error - it just went
right to attempting to load from the SCSI drive afterwards. At least
something different happened. Go figure....

The machine that handles DHCP is kinda slow - so it may not be responding
quickly enough for an address request. Sound logical? I probably should
move that functionality to a faster machine, or use RARP. Does that sound
like a logical next step?

Probably a good addition for the bootloader would be added status
messages......

Well, at least I'm learning.....

         - Matt

At 12:21 AM 1/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>At 01:42 AM 1/29/02 -0600, Matthew Sell wrote:
>>Okay - that part makes sense now. But, no dice. No messages, no requests
>>for an address. I know that I don't have a complete setup for NetBSD for
>>it to run yet, but I'm not even going to try unless there are some signs
>>of life, first......
>

>The next thing that screws people up is that they try to use the video
>console as the console rather than putting the VAX into serial console
>mode. I'm guessing you didn't do that, but before you even try, you do
>realize that there is no X support for any VAX right?
>
>--Chuck

Matthew Sell
Programmer
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
(281) 296-6066

Join the Metrology Software discussion group METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

Many thanks for this tagline to a fellow RGVAC'er...