Subject: Re: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2002 01:41:02
Chuck,

After looking at some more documentation - you are correct. Sorry. I
thought you were talking about my specification of a different "filename"
rather than the fact I was incorrectly downloading the kernel rather than
the bootloader.

What is the process that the bootloader performs after starting? Grab an
address for the NIC?

         - Matt

At 11:44 PM 1/28/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>At 01:05 AM 1/29/02 -0600, Matthew Sell wrote:
>>I don't think you understood what I was saying......
>
>On the contrary, I understand exactly what you are saying.
>
>>When I instruct the VAX to boot with:
>>
>>"b/100 esa0"
>>
>>It will prompt me to enter a "bootfile". I then enter (as an
>>example)  "netbsd". Watching the MOPD log, I can see that the VAX
>>requests "NETBSD.SYS", to which MOPD responds "(yes)". And the file is
>>transferred to the VAX. I can see that by watching network activity
>>between the two ports. At that point, MOPD logs "Load Completed".
>
>And what you are doing is wrong. You should tell it "boot.mop" and that
>file is the one that you found in the installation/netboot directory of
>the NetBSD 1.5.2 Distribution. Instead you are trying to tell it to load
>'netbsd' which is the kernel. The kernel doesn't have a clue how to boot
>itself, it only knows how to initialize the system once the boot loader
>has loaded it.
>
>--Chuck

Matthew Sell
Programmer
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
(281) 296-6066

Join the Metrology Software discussion group METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

Many thanks for this tagline to a fellow RGVAC'er...