Subject: Re: About the QBus EIDE interface...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/2002 14:51:22
"John Maier" wrote:

> > so, comments about the cpu?
>
> Per DigiKey (US)
> 386DX (33Mhz)(PGA) = $44
> 386SX (33Mhz)(QFP) = $15
> Z380 (20Mhz)(QFP)  = $20
> Strong Arm SA-110 (166Mhz)(QFP) = $34
> MC680x0 020-060 = all over $130
>
> >From a cost/performance the 386SX seems the best..but it QFP and I can't do surface mount.
>
> BTW, the Zx80 had built-in DRAM refresh, which make working with them nice.

Some of the newer SOC (system-on-a-chip) provide very good
cost/performance.  For example, the Alchemy Au1000 [1] was priced at
$39 in lots of 10,000 when announced (I would hope the price wouldn't
be too prohibitive for a small quantity), and for that you got a 400MHz
MIPS core, two 10/100 ethernet controllers, four UARTs, USB, SDRAM
controller, etc, etc.

Chips like Broadcom's BCM1125 [2] offer even higher performace, but I
can't see any indicative pricing on their website at a glance.

[1] http://www.alchemysemi.com/product_info/au1000/index.html
[2] http://www.broadcom.com/products/112x.html

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/