Subject: Re: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or
To: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2002 22:23:47
At 10:50 PM 1/28/02 -0600, Matthew Sell wrote:
>I would really appreciate a little insight into what I may be doing wrong.....

Uhhh, Linux doesn't work.

>I was originally attempting to install Linux on a few of my VAXen for
>learning. However, both of the pre-compiled KA43 and KA46 kernels fail
>miserably to boot - and crash immediately on the following computers:
>
>4000-300
>4000-500A
>MicroVAX 3100
>VAXstation 3100 M76

Next issue is that neither the 4000/300 or 4000/500 have a KA4x processor,
they are a KA670 and a KA690 respectively. The VAXStation 3100/M76 _is_ a
KA43 processor, so it might work. The MicroVAX 3100 (vs the VAXStation
3100) is probably a KA41 and will also not work. The KA46 is found in the
higher end MicroVAX 3100 like the M80.

>Figuring that the Linux port to VAX was not as mature than NetBSD, I
>attempted to MOP boot the same machines using the generic NetBSD-VAX kernel.
>
>That kernel dies a horrible death on startup as well. No messages other
>than a program counter and errors. Here is a list of boot messages I sent
>to the Linux-VAX guys; the errors for NetBSD are the same, except program
>counter locations.....

If the error messages are the same, then you aren't actually getting the
NetBSD bootloader to MOP over. It has a completely different banner, it
will do the little spinning thing and tell you its about to boot unless you
type a key, count down, and then boot.

 > I was hoping to use Linux, but I may have to use NetBSD instead. I
already have one running VMS.

Probably won't happen in the near future.

>There are some guys in France working on FreeVMS using Linux, and I was
>hoping to work on porting their work to a version of Linux on VAX (ironic,
>huh?).

That's a new one on me. Although its no stranger than porting BSD back to
the VAX.

>Anyway - any hints would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure where
>to start troubleshooting......
>.... I bet it's something really stupid I'm doing......

Yup, you didn't change your MOP symlinks and your getting the linux kernel
instead of the NetBSD bootloader.

--Chuck