Subject: I *must* be doing something really wrong, stupid, or both......
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Sell <msell@ontimesupport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2002 22:50:25
Guys,

I would really appreciate a little insight into what I may be doing wrong.....

I was originally attempting to install Linux on a few of my VAXen for
learning. However, both of the pre-compiled KA43 and KA46 kernels fail
miserably to boot - and crash immediately on the following computers:

4000-300
4000-500A
MicroVAX 3100
VAXstation 3100 M76

Figuring that the Linux port to VAX was not as mature than NetBSD, I
attempted to MOP boot the same machines using the generic NetBSD-VAX kernel.

That kernel dies a horrible death on startup as well. No messages other
than a program counter and errors. Here is a list of boot messages I sent
to the Linux-VAX guys; the errors for NetBSD are the same, except program
counter locations.....

1) Machine: VAXStation 3100 M76
Boot Message: KA43-A v1.2
Kernel: KA43
Result: ?50 SCB2NDINT, ESA0

Kernel: KA46
Result: (same as above)

2) Machine: VAX 4000-300
Boot Message: KA670-A V3.4 VMB 2.12
Kernel: KA43
Result: ?06 HLT INST PC=00007201 ?7C HARD ERROR

Kernel: LA46
Result: (same as above)

3) Machine: VAX 4000-500A
Boot Message: KA681-A V2.3 VMB 2.14
Kernel: KA43
Result: Repeatedly attempts to boot from MOP, causes MOPD to go wacko. Have
to manually kill MOPD.

Kernel: KA46
Result: ?06 HLT INST PC=00007401

4) Machine: MicroVAX 3100
Boot Message: KA41-A V1.6
Kernel: KA43
Result: ?50 SCB2NDINT, ESA0

Kernel: KA46
Result: (same as above)

I don't think that it could be that all of the above listed machines cannot
boot either both versions of Linux or NetBSD.

What could I be overlooking? MOPD is transferring the image to the VAXen,
but could it be corrupted somehow? What should I look for?

I was hoping to use Linux, but I may have to use NetBSD instead. I already
have one running VMS.

There are some guys in France working on FreeVMS using Linux, and I was
hoping to work on porting their work to a version of Linux on VAX (ironic,
huh?).

Anyway - any hints would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure where to
start troubleshooting......

.... I bet it's something really stupid I'm doing......

         - Matt

Matthew Sell
Programmer
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
(281) 296-6066

Join the Metrology Software discussion group METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

Many thanks for this tagline to a fellow RGVAC'er...