Subject: RE: Some questions on the 3100/80
To: 'Chris Wareham' <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2002 04:55:58
Chris Wareham wrote:

>I have been given a MicroVAX 3100/80 to
>replace a VAXstation 3100. It has a 40Mb
 You misspelled "supplement" :-)

>DEC drive and a 2Gb Seagate drive. Can I
>use the Seagate drive alone, or do I need
>to boot off of a <1Gb drive?

It will work fine with any size of disk.
Only some of the MicroVAX 3100 Models 10[e]/20[e]
(and all the VAXstation 3100 series) had the
1GB limit problem.

>The 3100/80 appears to have a conventional
>SCSI connector on the back. Could I connect
>a typical SCSI CD-ROM drive to it and boot
>the NetBSD install CD?

You need a CDROM that can do 512 byte blocks.
Any DEC RRD drive will do, Sun drives probably
will do.

>If so, are there any online guides to
>configuring the VT320 terminal and Vax
>equivalent of a PROM, as I've never done
>this before!

The console will almost certainly be set to
9600, 8 bits no, parity. Hit F3 (IIRC)
on the terminal and use the arrow keys
to move around. The ENTER key on the
keypad selects an option. Failing
that, poke around on http://www.vt100.net
where you should find the manual.

>Finally, I have an external TK50 tape drive
>and box of tapes that are surplus to my
>requirements. If anyone who is near to the
>London or Oxford areas of the UK wants them
>then they are welcome to them.

Well if you're that close (no, not London!)
and cannot get the thing to work let me know.

Antonio
arcarlini@iee.org