Subject: Re: About the QBus EIDE interface...
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2002 19:08:53
On January 24, John Maier wrote:
> At this point, in my mind, the 386SX and Z380 seem the best suited
> for cost, simplicity of implementation.  The surface mount issue
> just keeps me away... I'm going to look at some circuit design
> examples tonight for some help, perhaps something will surface that
> will jump start me.

  Have you *tried* surface mount?  I'm doing a surface mount project
right now, and I'm having a pretty easy time of it.  Use a good
temperature-controlled iron and VERY thin solder...I'm using a Metcal
SP-PW1-10 iron (I love that thing!) and .01" diameter solder.  Keep
the PCB clean, take frequent breaks, and you'll be fine.

  I actually enjoy it.  I know, I'm a weirdo... ;)

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire