Subject: Help with VAX 4000/NetBSD 1.5.2 Diskless Boot
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Howard M. Harte <hharte@hhgw.hartetec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2002 16:05:57
Hi,

	I am trying to get my 4000/300 to run NetBSD 1.5.2 diskless.  I
got it to MOP boot, then NFS mount the root filesystem and boot the NetBSD
kernel.   Then after probing the hardware, I get the following NFS mount
error:

panic: nfs_mountroot: getattr for root
stopped in swapper at   _nfs_mountroot+0x119:	pushl	-60(fp)
db>

	For the NFS Server, I'm running RedHat (AOL?) Linux 7.2.  I have
tried using the -no_nfs_version 2 and 3 switches with no luck.  The MOP
run under Linux, but I fiddled around with the code and got it to work.
I think this is due to some memory corruption bug in mopd, because it
seems like by moving the mop serving code into the moptrace app, it works
ok.  When I tried using the plain mopd code, the incoming packets were
corrupted.

	Perhaps I should try using a NetBSD machine for the NFS server?  I
just don't feel like dragging a DECstation out of the attic to try it.
I'm trying to keep my setup down to one server which does it all.  I also
tried booting a MicroVAX III and got the same error.

	Thanks for any help,
	Howard