Subject: Re: re Copying hard drives
To: Dan Williams <danwilliams@danwilliams.co.uk>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2002 15:18:37
dd will copy whatever you tell it to:
assuming the disks are sd0 and sd1, and the live system is on sd0 and sd1
is the new disk,

dd if=/dev/rsd0c of=/dev/rsd2c
and go get a sandwich. after all the blinky lights are finished, sd1
will have an exact copy of sd0, including boot block, disk label, and so on.
make sure sd1 is big enough to hold it all, of course..

note:
if sd1 has not been labelled, this might not work right, since it wont
know about rsd1c (strangely). in that case, substitute rsd1a if you get a
problem.

happy hacking,
isildur