Subject: VAXstation 4000/VLC and serial console
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <wysoft@extremecode.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2002 22:33:14
Hi everyone :)

A bit before Christmas, I bough a Vaxstation 4000/VLC off of eBay, and for the
most part I forgot about it. Now it has arrived, and I've got to slap it into
some working order so that I don't feel like I've wasted a good $40 :)

I know nothing of Vax machines besides a small amount of pre-purchase research,
so I have a few questions I'd like to ask:

1. I found a pinout for the printer/serial port on the mailing lists. I can
always make my own cable, but it would be nice to just save some time and buy
one. Are these available in DEC serial <-> DB25 male? All I want is to be able
to plug it into my SS5 and use minicom with it.

2. Does anyone have a diagram for the status LEDs at the rear of this machine?

3. Any success netbooting/installing on this machine? I see that a LANCE chip
is required to netboot, and this machine has one, so...

4. Can it run OpenVMS 6.0? I have some VAX VMS CD media that I kindly "saved"
from a Navy dumpster, so I'll fiddle with that too if I can. Hopefully this
machine knows how to boot from an SCSI CD.

I actually have no idea whether or not this thing works, but it appears to have
16 or 24MB of RAM and a 240MB SCSI drive, so it could probably prove itself to
be useful :)