Subject: Re: About the QBus EIDE interface...
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@argonath.vaxpower.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2002 11:37:36
> On another note, what does anyone else think of starting from the supnik
> rqdx3 emulator?

I have already looked at the MSCP code and picked Supnik's mind on this...

Here was our dialog...
Message 1:
After asking him about existing docs he responded:
Supnik > "I don't think DEC ever allowed MSCP specs out the door.  All of the third
party controllers that emulated MSCP deliberately omited the MSCP
programming specification, on pain of being sued.  Neither DEC nor Compaq
has ever granted permission for MSCP specifications to be published or
distributed."

Message 2:
I discovered that he was using info from one of the original people one the RQDX3 project
and probed some more...
Supnik > "I don't think DEC ever allowed MSCP specs out the door.  All of the third
party controllers that emulated MSCP deliberately omited the MSCP
programming specification, on pain of being sued.  Neither DEC nor Compaq
has ever granted permission for MSCP specifications to be published or
distributed."

So an inital offering would only support that which the RQDX3 supports.  Additional
testing would have to be done under ULTRIX or VMS and watch to see how those OS make their
MSCP requests and how they would handle.  This actually might help improve MSCP support
and performance in NetBSD, in the long run.

jam