Subject: RE: About the QBus EIDE interface...
To: Brian Chase <bdc@jarai.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2002 11:44:18
*grin*

ok, ill help hack on the MSCP stuff. I dont have time for a full fledged
project, though, but i can help.

from what i see, well need some Qbus glue, a cpu with MSCP code loaded in
from rom, a meg of memory or so, an IDE controller, and appropriate logic
so that the cpu can talk to the qbus and ide driving hardware. i dont know
much about qbus internals, and the IDE chip will be off the shelf, so i guess
ill be concerned with what kind of interface ill see from the qbus side?
Also, has there been any more decision anywhere on what kind of cpu?
as long as there's a sane C compiler for it, i'm cool with it.. though i'd
on principle try to avoid an intel design (a strongarm, while made by intel,
is a DEC design, so thats cool by the Chip Ideology :-)
and though i dig Z80 stuff i dont know anything about the later zilog
chips. as for memory, unless the chip we use has a dram controller on it
or comes with one, i dont even think we should bother with it. half a meg or
a meg of cheap sram shouldnt cost much, and it keeps our component count
down and makes the board simpler (i think the pcb might be the most
expensive thing in it) (i assume were doing a half-sized qbus card, right?
no need for a quad-height.

so, comments about the cpu?
isildur