Subject: Re: SII DSSI --> SCSI hacking? or KZQSA == Qbus <=> SII <=> SCSI ??
To: Chuck Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/2002 06:31:46
Hi !

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Chuck Dickman wrote:
> The IFCTF was kind enough to let me see the sources to Ultrix-32.
> ote: I am in way associated with Mr. Sokolov. ;-) ]
> It was only briefly, but I did notice that Ultrix-32 MIPS supports
> the KZQSA. From what I could tell, the KZQSA is a Qbus to SII adapter,
> with the SII set up for SCSI. NetBSD/pmax supports the SII. KZQSA's
> are quite cheap. So.... can anyone comment on the possibility of
> taking the SII/SCSI support from NetBSD/pmax, combining it with
> Qbus for the VAX and producing a KZQSA driver for NetBSD/vax.

Recently i read an artivle in the web about the story, why the KZQSA is sold
just as a tape controller. The signal quality seems to be that bad, that no
reliable usage with hard disks is guaranteed, so it was "stripped down" to be
just a tape controller.

Technically, the KZQSA (i have one here) looks a bit like the SCSI-stuff found
in VAXstations. A simple I/O with no MCU onboard, 128 KB of buffer memory, and
that was it. No intelligence or so :) But driver... Do you remember the name
of the source file in Ultrix?

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX