Subject: Re: errors compiling current
To: Tom Everett <tom@khubla.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/2002 02:08:10
Hi,

> I'm trying to compile a vax kernel for my vax 4000/500.  The compile machine
> is a vs4000/60 running netbsd 1.5.2.  The steps I followed to make the
> kernel were:
>
> mkdep: compile failed.
> *** Error code 1

Are you trying to build a current kernel using a release toolchain? If so,
you'd probably have an easier time setting up a current toolchain.
Assuming you have lots of disk space on that 4000/60 because it's SCSI,
following the instructions here should help you a bit:
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200201/testdriving.html

It makes it easier to use a fast / well endowed machine to support many
older machines. I currently do this with my colocated server (Amiga 4000,
68060, tons of disk space) to build kernels for older Mac 68k machines -
especially the ones with 80 meg hard drives.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs