Subject: Alternatives to the Vax 3100 (what's better, What's overkill)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: joseph p bennardo <fordluvr@juno.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/2002 16:37:56
Hello all,

   My company has put me in charge of a project of building a test lab.
The lab will emulate a larger citywide network that is currently running.
The backend of this network is a Vax running Open-vms 7.2 with specific
software to the system itself. The Vax send and receives data to a NT
based server that has several workstations connected to it. The Vax
basically acts as the central point for data.
   The lab will consist on one NT based computer with 4 workstations
connected via TCP/IP. The NT based server will them communicate with the
vax and data will be sent to the workstations from the vax through the NT
server.
    That being said what is a much faster, yet good alternative to my
current Vax 3100 that I was given to create this lab with. It's REALLY
slow and was something they were going to throw out, but I took it and
convicted them to let me start up this test lab. I mean this thing slows
down just because I keep running low on disk space. The pagefile gets too
small and it crashes, locks up, ect. Since this is a testing lab I must
be as close as possible to the real world Items so using anything but a
Vax system is counterproductive. I was thinking of getting a Vax 4000-90,
but I am now thinking a 4000-200 or 300 may be a better bet. Would that
be overkill? My budget is limited, but I understand that there are people
giving this stuff away. Size is also an issue. Anything bigger
dimensionally than a 400-200 would be too big.

If anybody happens to have a Vax 4000 90, 200, 300 or better in the Long
Island NY area they may be willing to part with reasonably please let me
know. I will be happy to take it off your hands.

Due to legal issues I was a bit vague as to how or what the real life
system actually does. If needed I could be a little more clear if it
helps you all to understand my needs better.

Thank you in advance for the assistance,

Joe Bennardo
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.