Subject: Re: TCPIP vax3400
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Pawel Krawczyk <kravietz@aba.krakow.pl>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/2002 09:22:26
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:05:32AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Whether or not an interface supports TCP/IP isn't a matter of the
> board, but the operating system on the machine.  Every operating
> system I've seen on a VAX...be it VMS or a UNIX variant like
> Ultrix...is capable of running TCP/IP on a DESQA interface, assuming
> you've got the operating system configured correctly.  You should be
> able to connect your VAX to your TCP/IP LAN with no problems at all.

This actually depends on the operating system version installed on the
machine, since many VAXen were sold with VMS capable only of DECnet, and
not TCP/IP - like VMS 5.4 I found on my MicroVAX 3600.  It is possible
in most cases to upgrade the operating system to one supporting TCP/IP
like OpenVMS 7.x. But this depends on what removable storage device you
have - this would be much easier in case of CD-ROM, however you can also
buy some versions of OpenVMS on tapes.

You can also install some commercial add-ons to older VMS versions to
add TCP/IP support. If you search archive of this list, you will find
answers to my questions on the same topic from some good people.

In my case, I've just removed VMS and installed NetBSD, as it was easier
and the old VMS 5.4 was kind of pain in the ass ;) But I regret that I
haven't opportunity to have an OpenVMS box however...

--
Pawel Krawczyk
Krakow, POLAND