Subject: Re: Qbus IDE adapter
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/02/2002 20:00:48
> I can imagine adding a ROM that would map into the Qbus memory
> address space and provide a boot program.  On a PDP-11 this would eat
> up precious RAM.  I don't know if/how the Qbus memory address space
> is mapped into the VAX address space or if it is executable, etc.

It depends on how the mapping registers are set up.

I would expect the ROM would be mapped only when a certain bit is poked
in some register.  On a non-discrete-logic board, I would also expect
there to be a base register which says where the ROM contents appears,
but that might be too much for a discrete-logic board.  (Fortunately,
PIC code is relatively easy to do on the VAX.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign