Subject: Re: VAXstation 2000: the lost weekend
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/10/2001 13:09:54
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2001.12.10 04:53 Russell Pavlicek wrote:
>
> > (1) The boot kernel does not recognize the RD5x disks
> > in the VS2000.

> The support fo the MFM controller in the VS2k and some VS3100 is often
> broken. And, be honest, you really want to mount a SCSI disk in that
> box. Unfortunately this means that you have to load the kernel via
> network and than you can mount a local root-fs. (If you have an EPROM
> burner you can patch the boot ROMs to get SCSI boot support.
> Unfortunately the NetBSD bootloader does not support the VS2k SCSI
> adapter.)

More correctly, it's only the issue with the boot ROMs in the VS2K.
The bootloader does support booting from SCSI disks, but the ROMs don't
support loading the bootloader from a SCSI disk.  That's mainly due to
the fact that DEC never supported the use of the VS2K SCSI for disks.

I've not used the MFM support on VS2K.  So I can't comment on its
stability.  It's possible the problems with the install program are
related to some issue with the MFM support, but that's a speculation.
Still, the install program should mask the over any rough edges on
support for the various platforms-- or at least warn you of known
problems.

The other complaints are only really warranted in that it seems
Russell's expectations for NetBSD/vax on a VS2K exceed the reality of
what's offered.  I don't see it so much as a major technical failing,
rather our documentation needs to be more up to date.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
      I'm sorry, this doesn't make any sense.  TO YOU!!!  -- K.