Subject: MicroVAX 3100-30
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/08/2001 15:26:48
Hello,

I was recently given a VAX described below and would like to get NetBSD
up and running on it.  Here is the description.  I have two desktop
style units, one is labelled MicroVAX 3100-30 and the other is a Storage
Expansion.  The MicroVAX unit has a tape drive on the front of the unit.
The back of the unit has a connector labelled A (the console?) and three
modular type jacks labelled 0 1 and 3.  All of these have labels with an
arrow pointing left over an arrow pointing right.  The jack labelled 2
appears to be a db25 connector.  Then there are the network interface
jacks and above that a scsi (I think) connector for the storage unit.
The storage unit has a model SZ12G-XA and has two connectors on the back
of it.  Does it matter which of these is connected to the main unit?

I don't have a terminal or keyboard but was told I could use a terminal
program and a serial cable to boot it.  Which connector on the unit do I
use for that, the db25 connector?  I have a whole sack of cables and
connectors that change from db25 type plugs to the modular jack type
plugs.  Some of these connectors have different model numbers like
H8571-F and H8571-A for example.

I haven't opened it yet to see what size hard disk is in there or what
other hardware might be in there.  Should I netboot this and mount
everything NFS or will I be able to install the base to the hard disk?
The guy that gave this to me reports to have had NetBSD running on it at
one time so I am hopefull this will work.

Thanks,
-Scott