Subject: VAX 6400 booting saga: barred from using MULTINET (sigh!)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, classiccmp@classiccmp.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/08/2001 13:55:03
Hi,

Antonio Carlini has helped me a great deal to get over my booting
problems with my other VMS boot RA90 disk. The trick to get it
booted without hanging for on the cluster joining is saying

 > SET VAXCLUSTER 0

on the conversational boot. This worked and I can see a pretty
neat system when I scan through the directory tree:

$ DIR [000000...]

shows all kinds of goodies. MULTINET is among them. No UCX though.
Many logical names are not set up right, but I finally managed to
get MULTINET do at least something. I can start, for example,
FTP. But when just when it's supposed to do something, it barks at
me that there is no license for this node. Bummer. That means even
if I should be able to set up the MULTINET stuff I can't do anything
because it's not licensed for that node!

What are my options?

- get a MULTINET license (no inclination unless it's free and
   does not require the rest of the VMS system to be set up
   properly (it isn't, I can't even do a SYSGEN ...)

- swap in the original 6500 processor (KA65A?) on which this
   system used to run and hope it will be enough to make it
   think its on the system with a license? My only concern is
   that the 6500 needs the special backplane or power adapter card,
   which I happen to have but want to be sure to use right.

- Screw multinet and find some DECnet implementation for FreeBSD.
   Heck, obviously Linux has a DECnet support, so why don't we?
   The serial port is just not an option to move the several
   hundred MB of ULTRIX data over.

If I plug in the special card and the KA65A processor and the
MS65A memory, I should be able to make my system a 6500 right?
That would be the original system, so MULTINET should not refuse
to run.

Does anyone know about old or new DECnet support on BSD?

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine