Subject: VAX6400 booting saga: getting VMS to boot without a cluster ...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, classiccmp@classiccmp.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/06/2001 18:59:00
Hi,

I moved a whole SA600 8-drive array downstairs and I can now
boot from a more recent, may be more complete VMS version.
I'm using the VMS FAQ instructions on conversational boot.
My problem is that ex cluster-vaxen seem not to be covered in
this section of the FAQ. At some point it will just sit there
waiting to join a cluster but since there is none it will
never come back. Can I set some "minimum votes" parameter
on the conversational boot to make it go on? What would that
be?

I'm hoping (dearly) that that version of VMS has UCX and
then I can suck my new Ultrix 4.5 CD over FTP and then I
only need to figure out how to raw-write a disk under VMS.
Do you know? Maybe something with EXCHANGE? I have no clue.
Can I MOUNT/FOREIGN a disk and then just write to it?

thanks for your help,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine