Subject: Re: 1.5 - 1.5.2 upgrade ? (VS3100m38)
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/05/2001 23:22:07
On 2001.12.05 16:41 David Woyciesjes wrote:

> Is upgrading from 1.5 to 1.5.2 fine, or is it a bad idea (and
> should install1.5.2 from scratch)?
This should work fine, as 1.5.2 is (mostly) only a bug fixed version off
1.5. Once upon a time I was used to update my NetBSD VAX by a weekly
make build (complete recompile of the entire system).

> Then, for /etc, I assume I only need to keep the files that I changed,
> correct?
Simply untar every already installed set, but not etc.tgz. You can keep
all your files in /etc unchanged.

> P.S. Has anyone gotten XWindows to run on the VS3100m38? I figure, if
> DecWindows can run on it...
AFAIK only the on board mono framebuffer is supported by X11 and you
need some special bits to get it working.