Subject: Re: RA90: What's error E0 and 7C (and others)?
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: chris <chris@openecs.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/26/2001 00:15:09
Gunther Schadow wrote:

Hi, Gunther

> But 4 or so of them fail only when trying to spin them up and
> return an error code 7C. It sounds like they do spin up but when
> trying to seek the fist time they immediately determine they
> failed. OTOH, in at least one case just retrying it a couple of
> times will eventually bring it up and running.

For 7C:

Gray code match error
After a  seek  has been commanded and the dedicated servo
is settled on  track, a check of the gray code is made to
verify that it is on track and not off by a track or two.
(ECM, HDA)

This means your drive logic and/or the hard drive itself is bad.

> Another 2 of them fail earlier when trying to spin up. They
> come up with erorr E0 pretty much as soon as it's trying to
> spin up.

As far as I know this means that there might be something with the front
panel wrong. Check the connectors, there might be a short cut.

> Does anybody
> know if the HSC90 by itself does RAID given a disk array and
> the proper configuration?

You can't really call it "RAID", but it does something like that :)

Regards - Chris