Subject: Re: problem with VAX station 4000/90
To: RJ45 <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/16/2001 16:43:40
----- Original Message -----
From: "RJ45" <rj45@slacknet.com>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 08:10 AM
Subject: problem with VAX station 4000/90

> I rebooted it and when it came up again at hte console window I got this
> message:
>
> ?? CRPT - Reenter bit clr

I got this error too, when I was connecting my m90 to my pc via a serial
cable with about six different adapters to change it over from MMJ to DB9.
Changing the PC to a VT220 and gettign rid of the cable-abortion fixed it...
I was still able to use the PC, tho.  Try holding down the reset button
(triangle-in-circle under the front door) for a few seconds-- IIRC that
would work some magic.

> After changing the serial port on the PC from which I use hyperterminal
> everything started to work again.
> THa is if I connect COM2 I got the above error if I connect using COM1 I
> Can see on the screen the boot console which stops for a SYS 8 eror but I
> Cannot issue the BOOT command because when I type on keyboard seems liek
> characters are not sent over the wire they are not even echoed.
>
> what the problem could be?

TX not connected properly?  Flow control connected improperly?  Check the
cable you're using.  SW3 is in the right (up) position?

> thanks

HTH

> Rick

Bob