Subject: Re: RA81 problems, someone with a service manual can help?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: C Kronenwetter <ckronenw@wi.rr.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/12/2001 11:32:09
You first release the latche(s) behind the front panel as has been noted
(either depressing the one in the middle with a screwdriver or releasing the
two hex latches).  Lift the entire front panel. (Depending on the the
vintage, you may want to use an adjustable wrench or visegrip on the shaft
of the gas spring to keep the cover from dropping on your head.)  Note also
that if you have the RA81 case pulled out far enough to raise the cover, you
should also pull out the cabinet stabilizing foot to keep the whole thing
from tipping over.  On the top of the head disk assembly near the front you
will find a white plastic lever about 3" long.  When rotated so that the
lever points to the right, the disk heads are unlocked.  There is also a
lever mechanism along the right edge of the cabinet which engages/disengages
the motor/drive belt.  There may also have been some shipping brackets to
prevent movement of the entire head/disk assembly depending on how carefully
the unit was deinstalled