Subject: Re: RA81 problems, someone with a service manual can help?
To: <>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/12/2001 12:12:28
You wrote:
<big snip>

>So, sounds like there is once chance for me: to find this
>"positioner motor lock" and move it into the unlock position.
>However, I have no idea how to do that? It sounds reasonable
>that this thing may be locked for transport, I sure hope
>so, because otherwise all my moving and installing this
>thing would have been in vain.

This, or something similar, bit me when I loaded my '81 (By hand, no jack
for me... :()  There is a cable stuck in a little clip of the right hand
front as you look in from above.  It needs to be pulled forward, and the
little crimped-on stopper hooked down over a little bracket in such a way
as to hold the lever of a microswitch down.  ISR this is the platter
lock.  There is a white plastic lever on the top, or maybe towards the
back, of the platter assy that locks the heads.  Mine had a big sticker
that said what it was for, and still had broken sealing tape from when it
was first put into service.  I'll take a look when I get home tonight if
nobody else speaks up.