Subject: Re: VAX code generation problem wrt IPSEC?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/12/2001 13:10:41
On Mon 12 Nov 2001 at 07:57:16 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Olaf Seibert wrote:
>
> > (repeated, also 8 times adwc, which is add word with carry, according
> > to a quick google search (boo, hiss, I should have proper vax assembly
> > docs - at least I know pdp-11), anyway using a 32-bits adwc for 16-bits
> > additions seems quite a liberty by the compiler in itself)
>
> Maybe this is a good time to point out that in DEC speak, a word is 16
> bits. 32 bits is a longword, 64 bits is a quadword and 128 bits is an
> octaword.

The more I look at the assembly, the more it seems to differ from the
source. But I did generate it by changing the -c into -S in the output
of make -n, so it ought to be ok.

> I didn't bother to analyse your post any further, but you might be
> confusing what a word is, so I just reacted on that...

Yes, I was wrong about that (so I'll have to look at why the -O2 version
is working in the first place), but the difference between the two
versions is still there and I hope I saw that correctly.

I did find a complete assembler document on compaq's website in the mean
time.

> 	Johnny
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --They that can give up essential
\X/ land.nl --liberty to purchase a little temporary safety