Subject: Re: Free terminal emulators
To: David Moor <dmoor@technology.serco.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/2001 10:35:46
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, David Moor wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Here is my first question:
>
> Currently the only machine on my little network with a monitor is my Win2k
> box.  I install NetBSD on my VLC using Hyperterminal which is probably set
> up incorrectly, this is probably why I was having problems selecting the
> correct time zone.  Now when I log in it doesn't select the correct terminal
> type.
>
> Can anyone recommend a free, good vt220 terminal emulator which works over
> TCP/IP or a serial links and runs on Win2k?

My experience is that Kermit is about the only terminal emulator that
somewhat correctly emulates a vt220. It also happens to be the only
program I've encountered that I really can control the serial port
properly with.
The tricky part is that I think that Kermit for windows actually costs
some money. All other kermits are free. Maybe MS-Kermit will work in
W2k. Try it. Since I don't really run Windows I can't say for sure if it
handles TCP/IP, but Kermit on Unix does through telnet.

	Johnny