Subject: Re: A VAX microcode optimized Java VM?
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/2001 08:34:06
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Gunther Schadow writes:

> > be used to improve Java performance on the VAX. Wouldn't it
> > be cool if the old iron could keep up to pace with the Java
> > stuff?
>
> However, Java mandates IEEE floating point processing,
> which the VAX doesn't have.

Well, doesn't that sound like a perfect project for creating new
opcodes by modifying VAX microcode?  :-)  I mean, it'll certainly help
Java performance... it'd allow for it to be ported.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
For these reasons, and hundreds of others, I am forced to conclude that a
virtual frog is not as much fun as an actual frog.  -- K.