Subject: Re: Same old questions... No ... another one!
To: Absurdly Obtuse <vance@ikickass.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/09/2001 15:08:12
> > >   You're a man of good taste, Bob! :-)
> >
> > Well, I hope my tastes in retro are yummy.  My main goal was to
> > see how early an MVII critter I could get up, and it looks like
> > the Ultrix-32M is it.  A real retro-fit would be to use an MVI
> > critter, but I don't have the cpu for that.
>
> You could always get an 11/780 running.  That would be older.  Or even a
> PDP-11 running 2BSD.

Sadly, I got no usable power for an 11/780.

I have been looking around for an 11/750.  There are supposed to be one
or two in this area.  But, amongst my other toys they are all MVII and up.
So, I have to work with that class machine as my earliest VAXentoy.

The Ultrix-32m seems to be the earliest of the MVII class OS's.

I had thought about a PDP-11 with 2BSD, but there is nothing around
here that I can find, anymore.  It might be fun to run up a V6 or
possibly a V5 if the right parts happened to surface.  Not likely,
though.  My best bet would still be an 11/750 or 11/730, maybe.

Someday..... but for now, MVII critters are it.

Bob