Subject: Hello, I am new and have problems with a VXT2000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Plattner <christoph.plattner@gmx.at>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/2001 03:08:30
Hello !

I am new in this list, but not a rooky in UNIX/Linux/NetBSD.

I try to boot up an olt VXT2000, equipped with 4MB RAM.
I was really surprised to read, that there is a NetBSD
port for that machine.

So I downloaded the 1.5.2 for VAX, copied the boot file
boot.mop to the /tftpboot tree and tried it with BOOTP/TFTP.
After reading the file, the machine stops with

   0..

(I use the seriel console, as I have NO keyboard !!
The jumper setting is

    	+---------------------------

	|    o o   o=o
	|    o=o   o=o

)

I retired it with mopd on my Linux server (mopd_2.5.4.orig of debian),
had to rename the file to /tftpboot/mop/VXTLDR.SYS, which I could found
via `strace'.

Again the VXT2000 starts the loading and after some blocks (perhaps
after
the first 512 Bytes or later) the machine displays

	0..

and hangs. The screen is full "green" (I use my green input of an good
PC monitor (BNC inputs), which can receive sync signals on green input).

First of all:

	Is this right, that the NetBSD/VAX should run on this machine ?

	What is the problem here. `moptrace' and `tcpdump' don't show any
	troubles, for me the VXT2000 cannot 'interpret' the file taken from
	vax/installation/netboot/boot.mop

Please help me, if anyone can .....

With friendly regards
	Christoph P.