Subject: Re: MVII & KFQSA
To: Chuck Dickman <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/31/2001 17:03:32
At 06:28 PM 8/31/01 -0400, Chuck Dickman wrote:
>I have just become the proud owner of a KFQSA DSSI controller and
>an RF71 disk.

Very nice. Now all you need is a DSSI terminator and life will be grand.
(actually with only 1 drive you can probably get away without the terminator)

>  I would like to use this combination in a cobbled up
>MVII that is housed in a BA23 chassis.

That is going to be a challenge because the RF71 has a 5 pin power plug and
the BA23 has only 4 pin power plugs. Now there are 4pin to 5pin adapters
but they aren't very common.  (the other is much more common as they are
used for TK70 drives) Steal the wiring harness off a dead BA213 PSU and use
that.

>  Before I worry about cabling
>and power, etc. I want to know how to configure the KFQSA with
>the MVII. It looks like the KFQSA is configured through the VAX
>console using something like:
>set host/uqssp/maintenance/service 0

Correct-a-mundo. That would be the DUP protocol.

>Since the KA630 processor does not have a SET command in the ROMs, is
>there any way to do the equivalent with this processor?

There is a DEC diagnostic you can run and IIRC VMS 5.5 and above can talk
to the controller vs the drive as well.

>Once I get it configured, it is just an MSCP controller and should work
>with the MVII or even a PDP-11 processor, right?

Correct again. If I were you I'd try wiring it up to see if it already was
configured to be at least 1 MSCP device. Although how you would do that on
an MVII I'm not sure. Perhaps if you put it in, hooked up the drive, and
tried to boot DUA0, DUA1, DUA2, etc until DUA7 and one of them booted.

--Chuck