Subject: Re: VAX 11/780 to 785 upgrade, what does it take?
To: Gunther Schadow <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Crawley <timc@lexicon.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/2001 09:07:54
Hi Gunther,

I know I have said this before, but I have and will scan in the 11/785
Installation manual that covers the CPU upgrade. I will try to do
some tonight.

According to the upgrade manual:
    Upgrading the KA780 to a KA785 consists of replacing the CPU
    cardcage and backplane assembly, inserting new CPU modules,
    replacing the memory board in the LSI-11, and attaching a new
    logo to the CPU cabinet.

So you need the 11/785 card cage/backplane and a new memory
board for the console computer. No changes to power supplies.

I would think that it would be hard to source the new card cage/
backplane and LSI-11 memory board, but if you can get your hands
on a working 11/780 take it! They are really nice old hardware, its
only 0.5 of a VUP (although when you compare 1VUP to 1.5VUPs
its 33% increase).

Regards,
Tim.