Subject: Re: VAX 8650 ...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Graham Gillies <graham@bit-rot.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/16/2001 16:38:06
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:27:37PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> Of course, there's the difference between VA and W, since your VAX
> probably is not a perfectly resistive load and an electric furnace
> probably is (or at least is much closer).  However, I _think_
> electricity meters are pretty good about measuring real power rather
> than RMS volts times RMS amps; anyone here know for sure?

I would expect a large power hungry computer like these to have proper
power factor correction so it should appear as a resistive load.

The meters will measure what they see thats the incentive for large
industrial shops to monitor an correct power factor problems. If they
still don't comply there are QOS regulations to take care of the
offenders. A few ski resorts here in BC have been unwilling to
properly correct their lifts and the regulations dealt with them.

Thats my take on it anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Graham Gillies  <graham@bit-rot.net>