Subject: Re: Boot devices for MVII
To: Chuck Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/11/2001 13:35:39
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Chuck Dickman wrote:

> "Aaron J. Grier" wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:53:47PM -0400, Chuck Dickman wrote:
> > > I am continuing to play with my MVII. Anybody know what devices are
> > > bootable on this machine? I can't find a reference anywhere and the
>
> > any device is bootable...  just load the proper bootstrap code in
> > through the monitor.  ;)
>
> Which leads to another more historical question. Was any VAX ever
> _practically_ bootable by entering bootstrap code manually?

Hell yes. I've done it several times. How do you suppose I got Unix
installed to a VAX8650 when the distribution I had was on tape?

(Hint, there is no way to normally boot a VAX8650 from tape...)

Fortunately, the MtXinu manuals I have list some bootstraps for different
tape drives on the (then) current VAX hardware.

	Johnny