Subject: Re: Did a dumb thing today -- picked up a 5 buck MV2000....
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/2001 12:44:50
> > > Pit Fracas.... and picked up an orphan 5 buckeroo MV2000 critter.  IFF
> > > I want to expand ram in the critter, what sorts of ram bits will work
> >
> > You need the appropriate memory card
> > (similar to the VS3100 systems - no SIMMs here!)
>
> I believe there are larger 3rd party cards, but my collection of vs2000's
> are either 4Mb or 6Mb total - I think 2 or 4Mb onboard then a DEC
> daughtercard.  I think it has a 12Mb upper limit total.  Only one
> daughtercard allowed I believe.

Is the daughter card the same as used in the early 3100 lines?  If so,
then I have sufficient to get the thing up to the mb and a daughter card.
I have not opened the critter, but wanted to make sure before I blew
something's sillyconsmokum, with a wrongo hookup.

> > > correctly in the thing.  I vaguely remember someone saying that there was
> > > a way to make the tape ''almost scsi'' port talk real scsi.
> >
> > Doesn't NetBSD use it this way?
> > It can (IIRC) do disks like this.
>
> I believe the NCR53C80 controller with the dedicated (shared with MFM)
> DMA bounce buffer (16Kb?) is usable for SCSI drives via the 50 pin cable
> that comes off the mobo - depending on the boxes you have, they may
> have the add-on footer that provides a Centronics connector.

Mine has an undercase cabinet (maybe 1.25 inches high) that has a B
connector of 50 pin DB connect, and a C connector of ``Centronics''
which I assume is for the scsi.

Can it boot cdrom, or will I have to netboot or tapeboot the thing?

> Just a reminder, for what its worth, the formatter on the VS2000 is
> compatible with RQDX3 controllers, but the VS2k is 3:1 interleaving
> while an RQDX3 is 1:1.  I somehow doubt speed matters here thought B^)

At 0.9 vups.... hardly!.....(:+}}...  This thing was a orphan, that the
ol' sucker Bob, could not quite resist, for the fun of it.....(:+}}...
I don't even expect it to fly like my 4000/60......(:+{{....

> Although it was nearly a decade ago, we did not attempt to run Ultrix 4
> in production on smaller VAXen because 4 required so much more in terms of
> resources (e.g. on uVAX2's and VS2000's).  We stuck with Utlrix 3.5 I think.

Hmmm, I will keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Bob