Subject: Re: VAXserver 3100 question
To: Master of all that Sucks <vance@ikickass.org>
From: peckerwood <peckrwood@usa.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/17/2001 13:27:17
On Saturday 14 July 2001 02:06, Master of all that Sucks wrote:
> How about on my DS5840/VAX6000?  Doesn't have MFM.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar
>
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:42:27PM -0400, Master of all that Sucks wrote:
> > > Hi.  I seem to find this connector with 50 pins in three rows in a
> > > D-shell on my VAXservers and VAXstations.  I even have one or two on my
> > > DECsystem 5840.  Could someone tell me what they are?  Three rows.  17
> > > - 16 - 17.
> >
> > it's the MFM "Extention" cable.  you can put external MFM devices on it.
> >
> > -brian

You are right.  The VS3100 doesn't have MFM either.  That type connector was
used for a lot of things.  Most likely SCSI on the MV3100 and VS3100.  I
think the 8-port serial card on the  MV3100 used a centronics type connector
but may have also used one of those.  If you have a male and a female it may
be the qbus extention or TSV05 cab kit.  Also printer interfaces used that
connector.  Only the old MV-I, MV-II, MV2000, etc used it for MFM or tape
although I suppose any q-bus vax could have an old MFM or tape controller or
any of the above on it.

PW