Subject: AW: Help needed. netbsd on a VAX4000-105A
To: 'Michael Kukat' <michael@unixiron.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22L=FCck=2C_Bernhard=22?= <Bernhard.Lueck@triaton.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/11/2001 15:49:41
Thanks for your answer Michael,

I tried to boot my machine with mopd and nfs. mopd works fine, nfs =
seems to
me also working correctly.
The kernel Image is loaded into the vax, but when the kernel tries to =
start
up, I always get something like:

Trying BOOTP
bootp: no reply
boot: client IP address: 149.206.58.245
boot: client name: myvax
root addr=3D149.206.58.245 path=3D/export/myvax/root
701856+1205116+145624 total=3Dx01f51f8

?06 HLT INST
             PC =3D 8009E836
(BOOT/R5:100 EZA0)

I tried different kernelversions, but alwas the same. Do you (or some =
one
else) have an idea what I did wrong?
The consol output is from boot.mop and netbsd.ram.gz from this =
ftp-site:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/vax/installation/netboot/=20

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Michael Kukat [SMTP:michael@unixiron.org]
> Gesendet am:	Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 19:18
> An:	L=FCck, Bernhard
> Cc:	port-vax@netbsd.org
> Betreff:	Re: Help needed. netbsd on a VAX4000-105A
>=20
> Hi !
>=20
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, "L=FCck, Bernhard" wrote:
> > Hardware:
> > VAX 4000-105A with
>=20
> Not really old. Very nice! But only supported in -current. Works =
stable
> here,
> had an uptime of 40 days before the firestorm some days ago, where =
the
> power
> was interrupted :(
>=20
> > 3 x DSSI Drives RF36		(DIA0,DIA1,DIA2)
>=20
> Not supported (currently)
>=20
> > 1 x SCSI CDROM RRD43	(DKA400)
>=20
> supported
>=20
> > 1 x Ethernet Interface		(EZA0)
>=20
> supported
>=20
> > no Floppy Disk Drive.
> > 64 MB Main Memory and only an VT-Term.
>=20
> Very good
>=20
> > I found an bootable CD-Image of netbsd 1.5
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/iso/at/vaxcd.iso put it onto =
the CD
> and
> > booted the vax form device dka400 with the monitor command "boot
> dka400:".
> > After that i've got these Messages.
> >
> > (BOOT/R5:0 DKA400:)
> >
> >  2..
> >  -DKA400
> >  1..0..
> >

> > thats all. Then the machine hangs or somthing else. How can I check =
that
> the
> > CD-Drive is working properly. I have no documenation or other media =
> test
> > the CD-drive.
>=20
> Of course. a) booting of the SCSI devices currently doesn't work, and =
> didn't
> find the time to fix this. But 1.5 will definitely not work out of =
the
> box,
> you need to get the -current kernel at least, and if you install the
> machine
> from scratch, it might be the best idea to also get the userland for =
> [...]
OpenBSD
> FreeBSD
> Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix =
OpenStep